Friday, March 20, 2015

Reboot

This page has had 33 views in 6 years. Not too shabby! Obviously I haven’t tried to promote it, or even update it, since my last effort to stretch my writing muscles. So this is another go at it, more for me than for any perceived audience. I’ll leave the first few posts up for now. I was reading a lot of HST and they are pretty caustic, so I think I need to reset a bit. That said, I love the story of HST teaching himself how to write by retyping The Great Gatsby in its entirety in an effort to absorb some of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s style. Learning from those two would not be the worst way to get started, but getting my reps up will be the most important thing. I live much of my life in my head. There is a productive spin to that, in which I’m constantly calling up articles, shows, ideas, statements of friends and strangers to synthesize new ideas and improve my understanding of myself and the world. But I have to admit that there is a negative truth as well, which is that I’m easily distracted. Instead of writing one post/article/paper, I have five ideas that I’m jumping back and forth between, with none being put on paper. During my free time (I’d like to think I get done what I need regarding work, classes, outside responsibilities) I’m too busy starring in my own movie, rather than stretching myself. There isn’t much free time for most, which is why it’s all the more important to take advantage of the little time we have and use it constructively. That means different things to different people: learn, create, build. So I’m trying to write more. At least once a day. If I have five ideas, I’ll pick one and know that I can come back to another tomorrow. At the very least, this should make me a better writer. But hopefully it will make me less fearful that those few spare minutes I have each day are going to waste. (And the layout is hideous. Hopefully I can use my recently learned programming basics to spruce it up. In due time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment